Re: [hatari-devel] Using Hatari to debug custom version of EMUTOS

On 12/4/20 1:27 AM, migry wrote:
On 15/11/2020 00:23, Charles Curley wrote:
Although I installed the "readline" library it was not
found by configure,

Did you have the relevant dev package for your readline package?
Headers, etc. for a package foo.deb are often in a separate package,
foo-dev.deb.

I don't recall installing the dev library, and my virtual Linux session has crashed since
the install so I cannot recall the command line from the shell.

I appear to have readline v8.0 installed.
I also just tried "sudo apt-get install libreadline-dev" which appeared to install v7 (I hope its compatible).

Running ./configure I still get...

Libraries summary :
-------------------

   - sdl :    using SDL2 v2.0.12
  - readline :    not found, install it to enable debugger history/completion
   - zlib :    found, allows to use zip/gz files directly
   - png :    found, allows to compress screenshot/avi files using png
  - portaudio :    not found, install it to enable the Falcon microphone input
   - portmidi :    not found, install it for MIDI support on Windows / OSX
  - capsimage :    v5 not found, install it to use .IPF, .RAW and .CTR disk images
   - udev :    not found, install it to enable media change detection in
               NatFeats SCSI devices on udev-based systems (Linux)

BTW I was able to compile and run a version of hatari despite missing this library. Thankfully I did not have to use the debugger, so command line editing was not needed.

I just tried again.
Went into /home/migry/Software/read-line master.
Did a ./configure  , make , then sudo make install.

gary@Ubuntu:~/Software/readline-master$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libreadline.*

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1321530 Dec  3 23:23 /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1321530 Nov  6 00:27 /usr/local/lib/libreadline.old
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      16 Dec  3 23:23 /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so -> libreadline.so.8 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      22 Dec  3 23:24 /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.8 -> libreadline.so.8.0.old -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  828936 Dec  3 23:23 /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.8.0 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  828936 Nov  6 00:27 /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.8.0.old

Any suggestions?
It would be nice to fix this for future debugging.

Having different versions of same libraries
installed both with the system package management
and in other places where dynamic linker search
for them, is a recipe for mystery errors.

(I've had e.g. one work colleague machine boot fail after distro update because he had own
libdrm build in /usr/local/lib, instead of
testing it by using LD_LIBRARY_PATH.)

I'd recommend installing the necessary packages
with the normal distro package management and
nuking other version of them residing under
/usr/local/.