Re: [hatari-devel] Code signing for macOS

Le 29/11/2020 à 12:56, Vincent Barrilliot a écrit :
Hello,

Do we want to fix this ? I mean, Apple is true, they cannot guarantee who developers behind the app are. People pay expensive Macs to have an army of lawyers controlling their ecosystem by always knowing who to sue. Hatari is made by hobbyists, does any of them want to potentually get sued for what they do in their free time?

* If yes (which I disagree with)  then well we can pay and and give Apple a stick to beat us if they don't like what we're doing.

* If no then we should only seek the trust of people using Hatari, even if that requires them to manually specify it on their Mac.

Eventually, if Apple makes it harder and harder to use open source apps like Hatari, to the point the Mac is no longer a friendly environment for open source apps, then it'll just mean you shoudln't use a Mac otherwise you're just creating trouble for yourself. Like if Lamborghini makes car for running on race tracks, you shouldn't by one to drive on muddy country roads.

Hi

I'm grateful if Troed want to go through this process, but same as you I also feel it goes against the open source idea and paying Apple who uses its monopolistic advantage to enfore such policy.

Maybe in the end it's better to not accept Apple's rules and let the users be aware of what is going on ? (especially if you consider that with recent ARM release for macOS, Apple has some kind of backdoor to let his own apps contact outside servers, bypassing their own firewall, as was described in some recent articles).

How do other open source apps manage this ? For example Audacity is a popular app, do they manage to get a signature from Apple ?