Re: [hatari-devel] Preparing release 2.3

On 2020-10-12 17:45, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
Le 12/10/2020 à 17:36, Thomas Huth a écrit :
On 12/10/2020 17.15, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
[...]
Eero, what else do you wish to include before 2.3 is relased ?

IIRC Eero mentioned that Hatari now boots slower in Falcon mode if no IDE
drive is attached. I guess it's because TOS 4 is now always scanning the IDE
bus for devices (and thus waits until a timeout occurs), while it was
skipping the test before due to the bus errors.
Unfortunately, I currently don't have much spare time, but I assume that's the same behavior as on an original Falcon. We could maybe add a TOS patch in this case to decrease the timeout, but I'm currently very short in spare
time, so I currently cannot work on this topic.

Can't really have a look either :(
Back in the day, Green Tommy (greenious) solved this by making a floppy bootsector that got rid of the IDE wait (and memory test) to speed up booting on IDE-less machines a great deal.

If it's of any use, here's a link to the software which writes the bootsector:

http://files.dhs.nu/files_util/fastbt04.zip

--
Anders Eriksson
ae@xxxxxx