Re: [hatari-devel] Manual update

On 1/2/20 12:42 PM, Christian Zietz wrote:
Eero Tamminen schrieb:

(Except that I just noticed that I missed
blitter for MegaST.)

Also, in the table, the "X" for RTC was incorrectly placed in the STE
column, instead of the MegaST one.

Thanks, I missed that when switching columns around.  Fixed now.

Btw. System dialog section mentions that
the emulated ST add-on blitter is Ricoh,
but Mega-ST one is IMP one.

If it was worded like this in the manual, it would certainly be wrong.

Text is following:
"The Mega-ST was an slightly improved version which also provided the so-called blitter chip (for accelerating certain graphic operations) and a Real Time Clock (RTC) chip. A note for experts: Hatari emulates the Mega-ST with the so-called IMP chipset, while the normal ST is emulated with the Ricoh chipset. This gives a slightly different behavior between the two machine types with regards to bus errors."

(I had assumed that chipset above referred to
blitter, as ricoh & IMP had elsewhere been
mentioned in connection to blitter.)

The difference between Ricoh and IMP does *not* refer to the Blitter but
to the (rest of the) chipset. There are observable differences in the
Glue (regarding which addresses cause a bus error) and in the MMU
(regarding handling of certain memory bank combinations).

Blitters, in particular, were never even made by Ricoh. Known Blitter
manufacturers are ST (SGS Thomson), GE/RCA, National Semiconductors and
IMP.

Any proposals on how to clarify the text in the manual, to indicate that "chipset" refers to
differences in Glue & 68000 "MMU"?

Atari also contacted further manufacturers about the Blitter, but
they never appeared in the wild -- if they were ever produced. Until
now, between the manufacturers no difference relevant to emulation is
known. (Afair, Hatari doesn't emulate some weird Blitter corner cases
correctly, anyway.)