Re: [hatari-devel] "Desktop Info..." freezes with VDI mode

Le 12/10/2019 à 06:50, Thomas Huth a écrit :
Am Sat, 12 Oct 2019 02:28:10 +0300

I experimented a bit with this and came up with the attached test
patch.

Would it make sense to enable that stuff unconditionally for VDI?

I don't think it would slow it down noticeably and VDI mode isn't
significantly faster than normal ST/STE video mode anyway.

IIRC we had Timer-B enabled in VDI mode in the past, until someone
disabled it for performance reasons? So I'd rather not revert that now.
I think a better way to fix this is to add a TOS patch to disable that
loop in the affected TOS versions. We even already got a TP_VDIRES
condition that perfectly matches this case.

Hi

+1 for patching TOS instead of mfp.c or video.c

For maintainabilty reason, the less tos/vdi specific code we put in lower level part like mfp.c, the better it is. It's better if hte HW component can remain as close as possible of the specifications.

I'm always concerned when I want to improve low level emulation of some parts and encounter some cases for tos/vdi/others which need to be merged back in the new code. It often leads to errors/regressions