Re: [hatari-devel] TT emulation crashes when there is no ACSI drive

Am Sun, 18 Aug 2019 09:46:07 +0200
schrieb Thomas Huth <th.huth@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Am Fri, 16 Aug 2019 09:03:00 +0200
> schrieb Thorsten Otto <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > On Freitag, 16. August 2019 08:39:24 CEST Christian Zietz wrote:
> > > No, it isn't! The new process gets its own initial user *and*
> > > supervisor stack.
> >
> > Hm, maybe. I had something in mind that the supervisor stack was
> > only used for OS calls, but maybe i'm wrong. Lets see how Thomas
> > tries to solve the problem, and whether disabling interrupts
> > helps.
>
> Disabling the interrupts seems to help in this case, to avoid the
> crash, but unfortunately it is not a good solution either: If the
> interrupts are disabled for too long (and clearing the of the BSS/heap
> can take a while, especially with TT RAM), the mouse can not be moved
> in that time frame anymore - and even worse, TOS gets confused of the
> held back IKBD packages and recognizes wrong key presses afterwards.
>
> So I think it's maybe best to finally get rid of this assembler kludge
> now ... I'll try to rewrite the stuff in C in gemdos.c when I got some
> spare time.

I've just committed the rewrite of the GEMDOS HD handling now. Please
give it a try, it's been a major change, so there could be some
regressions. Also worth to mention:

- The cartridge is not gone completely yet, it's still used for the
  extended VDI resolutions

- The GEMDOS HD code still needs some few lines of 68k code - which
  is now patched into the end of the cartridge area. Not sure whether
  that's the best spot and way to do it ... if someone has a better
  idea, please let me know.

- The clearing of the BSS and heap is not blazing fast, especially
  compared to the state before, when the FASTLOAD flag has not
  been set in the program header (sorry, Vincent ;-) )

- The GEMDOS interception should now also continue if a PRG overrides
  the GEMDOS vector, since we do not mess with the handler now anymore.
  It might even work with MiNT now (but I haven't tried).

- I didn't check the symbol loading stuff in the debugger... Eero,
  could you please verify that it still works right?