Re: [hatari-devel] ImPerfect Falcon 512b demo?

Am Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:09:55 +0200
schrieb Daniel Hedberg <daniel.hedberg@xxxxxxxxx>:

> The FPU 68060 lacks some critical floating point operations such as
> fsin and fcos, those are emulated with software. No sensible person
> would use fixed point arithmetic on a 68060. Does Hatari support the
> CT60 TOS?

No. It's not so easy. To do it properly, you'd need to emulated the
additional hardware of the CT60, including an I2C bus and SPD of the
DIMMs that you can plug there. It's certainly doable, but this will take
a lot of time, so currently nobody is working on this task (AFAIK).

Another possibility might be to patch the CT60 TOS, but since there are
so many versions of this ROM available, and since there might be future
releases, too, this is also not a very appealing approach.

For some further information, please see:

 https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel/2018/11/msg00036.html
 https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel/2019/06/msg00001.html

> I think that would be the right thing to do here, even
> though Hatari still wouldn't be able to emulate a 68060 at 50MHz+ as
> I understand it?

Hatari currently only provides 32 MHz. It might be doable to implement
support for 64 MHz, too, these days, but this needs some careful
analyzis of the affected code parts to get it really right.

> It would be nice to still be able to use Hatari for
> developing/prototyping 68060 demos.

You can use Hatari to develop 68060 code. It should work on the CT60,
too. It's just the other way round, code that works on the CT60 does
not necessarily work on Hatari (due to the missing emulation of certain
instructions).