Re: [hatari-devel] ImPerfect Falcon 512b demo?

The FPU 68060 lacks some critical floating point operations such as fsin and fcos, those are emulated with software. No sensible person would use fixed point arithmetic on a 68060. Does Hatari support the CT60 TOS? I think that would be the right thing to do here, even though Hatari still wouldn't be able to emulate a 68060 at 50MHz+ as I understand it? It would be nice to still be able to use Hatari for developing/prototyping 68060 demos.

--Daniel

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 12:39 PM Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 7/13/19 8:37 AM, Thorsten Otto wrote:
> On Samstag, 13. Juli 2019 00:30:21 CEST Daniel Hedberg wrote:
>> Does that mean that none of those work in Hatari?
>
> Probably not. You would need a TOS that installs a FPSP first to emulate the
> missing instructions, like the ones from Hades or Milan, but i doubt that
> these would work in Hatari.
>
> BTW its not only about FPU instructions, a few integer instructions like
> 32*32->64 multiply also have to be emulated.

Thanks, that's a lot better explanation why some "060" demos work
with Hatari 030 emulation, but not 060 emulation (when using TOS
v4 which Hatari patches to work on 060).

I.e. those demos actually not being 060 demos, but 060 + instruction
emulation demos?

(Which doesn't make much sense to me, why one would slow down his
demo by relying on instruction emulation, instead of building
the demo with real 060 support?)

Mvh,
Daniel Hedberg