Re: [hatari-devel] Automated testing of Atari software with Hatari - Some tips

On 3/9/19 11:04 AM, Christian Zietz wrote:
Eero Tamminen schrieb:

I forgot to mention that one more option besides midi/serial/printer,
is using NatFeats STDERR:
https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/tree/tests/natfeats/natfeats.c#n47

That would work with Aranym too, but requires on Hatari
"--natfeats on" option.

Just a small question: I assume that the "TODO: test this" in the ASM
driver for NatFeats can be safely ignored,

I removed it.

i.e., the code is proven to
work? I don't want to debug the NatFeats driver but my own routines.
<https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/tree/tests/natfeats/nf_asmg.s>

I'm pretty sure I've tested it, and some others have used it too.
If you diff it against AHCC and VBCC versions, you'll notice that
they're identical except for the syntax.

C-code and AHCC assembly is actually used in automated Hatari testing
for NatFeats (try "make test").

BIOS intercept is deprecated (because it provides too much control
for a thing running under emulation; if it wants, it could use that
to overwrite any file which Hatari process has write access to).

It was clear to me that I must only use BIOS intercept with trustworthy
code. In that case I see no security risk.
Suggestion: please mention that fact that it's deprecated the in the manual.

Done:
https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/commit/?id=e1bd25306a15aeb8780ec98443de5730c40bd107

If you want more speed, use also:
	--fastfdc on --timer-d on --sound off

Thanks, I'll add that.

Did you consider just forking Hatari's tos_tester.py?

Afaik, it relies on functions not provided by the Python standard
library under Windows.

I see.  No FIFOs I guess?

I decided it would be faster to write my own test
rig than to figure out what needs to be changed in code that is not
mine. Yet, tos_tester.py looks like a really feature-rich test program,
so if someone is considering automated testing, he should definitively
check it out.