Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari download page changed unexpectedly

On 12/02/2019 à 14:46, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
I see that with mercurial the ".hg" directory inside a repo was ~20MB so far and with git the ".git" dir is ~120MB. Is there a reason for that ? Maybe some options to pack some data in the .git dir ?

Seen there:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27867775/how-to-cleanup-garbage-in-remote-git-repo

git -c gc.reflogExpire=0 -c gc.reflogExpireUnreachable=0 -c gc.rerereresolved=0 -c gc.rerereunresolved=0 -c gc.pruneExpire=now gc --aggressive

This purges all the unreachable objects (including reflog) and compresses the objects in use. AFAIK, this is most powerful method to shrink a Git repository, without losing any useful data. Use with caution if you have recently made local refactorings, as the unreferenced objects (usually kept in reflog for 15 days) will be purged immediately.

I guess size will expand after some commits and the command can be
run again, but it's better to have a small repo when you want to do a
quick local "clone" of the repo by just doing "cp -r repo repo_new"

I used to do that with CVS. But I don't do anymore with Git. Usually, anything can be done easily by switching branches.

--
Vincent Rivière