Re: [hatari-devel] Patch to fix disassembler

On 1/13/19 2:10 PM, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
Le 13/01/2019 à 12:55, Thomas Huth a écrit :

Its also questionable whether you need 2 separate disassemblers. The
output from the other looks a bit strange because it sometimes uses
the internal names from generating the tables, but that could be
fixed i guess.

If you ask me, I'd also rather get rid of the external disassembler
again, too... but that's ultimately a question for Nicolas who works
way more with disassemblies these days than I do.

Hi,

having used it recently when we had some PMMU / FPU issues to fix, the external disassembler still gives better results for MMP opcodes (while the winuae's output is mostly an hexa dump of the parameter). There were also some issues with winuae's 68020+ addressing mode disassembly where external debugger was much better (this cases was fixed recently in winuae (see changeset 7240)

So, for now I would say that this disassembler still has some advantages over the internal winuae's one, but in the end I agree that having a disassembler that is directly connected to the cpu core should be enough.

It also lets people control the disassembly output in
case they have different preferences than internal
core defaults:
-------------------------------
$ hatari --disasm help
Disassembly settings:
	uae - use CPU core internal disassembler which has better
	      instruction support
	ext - use external disassembler which has nicer output
	      and supports options below
	<bitmask> - disassembly output option flags
Flag values:
	1: no brackets around absolute addressing
	2: opcodes in small letters
	4: register names in small letters
	8: stack pointer as 'SP', not 'A7'
Current settings are: