[hatari-devel] Re: Colloquialisms

On 10/18/18 6:03 PM, Roger Burrows wrote:
On 18 Oct 2018 at 9:48, Thomas Huth wrote:
As a native English speaker (currently living in Canada, but originally from
the UK), I'd say that:
1. you would almost always use "it's" in spoken language
2. you would almost always use "it is" in a printed document

Online is somehow between the two, so it's hard to be dogmatic.  For me, "it
is" creates an impression of greater accuracy & precision, but less
friendliness.  So I would use "it's" in a FAQ, but "it is" in a manual.  But
that's just an opinion, and "honest men may differ".

By the way, looks like we're rather informal in the manual:

$ grep -i " it's " manual.html | wc -l
22
$ grep -i " it is " manual.html | wc -l
11

... maybe we should standardize on one of the two spellings?

I think that is definitely something that should be fixed.

Looking whose latest commits use the contracted form:

for ext in html 1 txt; do
  echo "*** *.$ext ***";
  hg files "glob:**.$ext" | xargs hg blame -u |\
    fgrep -i -e "it's" -e "they're" -e "isn't" -e "aren't" \
      -e "can't" -e "hasn't" -e "haven't" -e "doesn't" -e "don't" |\
    cut -d: -f1 | tr -d ' ' | sort -n | uniq -c | sort -nr;
done
*** *.html ***
     92 oak
     38 eerot
      9 Nicolas
      7 Thomas
      2 simonsunnyboy
      1 thothy
*** *.1 ***
     14 oak
      4 eerot
      1 Nicolas
*** *.txt ***
     86 oak
     30 eerot
      8 Nicolas
      5 thothy
      2 Thomas
      2 huth
      1 npomarede

And the more formal forms:

for ext in html 1 txt; do
  echo "*** *.$ext ***";
  hg files "glob:**.$ext" | xargs hg blame -u |\
   grep -i -e "it  *is" -e "they  *are" -e "is  *not" \
     -e "are  *not" -e "can *not" -e "has  *not" \
     -e "have  *not" -e "does  *not" -e "do  *not" |\
   cut -d: -f1 | tr -d ' ' | sort -n | uniq -c | sort -nr;
done
*** *.html ***
     29 oak
     23 Nicolas
     21 Thomas
     12 simonsunnyboy
     11 eerot
      4 thothy
      4 npomarede
      2 huth
*** *.1 ***
      5 oak
      2 Thomas
      2 eerot
*** *.txt ***
     33 thothy
     12 oak
      6 Nicolas
      5 Thomas
      4 eerot

It's clear who are the sources for these forms. :-)

As expected, I've used contracted forms nearly exclusively,
and Thomas the formal ones.

(I'm fine with both forms, but colloquial form is more natural to me.
I read a lot of English fiction, but I don't write or review academic
papers.)

Looking at who has last touched specific lines in documentation:
for ext in html 1 txt; do
  echo "*** *.$ext ***";
  hg files "glob:**.$ext" | fgrep -v -e CMake -e /results/ |\
    xargs hg blame -u | cut -d: -f1 | tr -d ' ' |\
    sort -n | uniq -c | sort -nr;
done
*** *.html ***
   3469 eerot
   3006 oak
   1100 Thomas
    593 Nicolas
    293 thothy
    276 simonsunnyboy
    195 huth
    164 npomarede
     16 laurent
      6 laurent29
*** *.1 ***
    760 oak
    631 eerot
    352 thothy
     48 Nicolas
     22 Thomas
      9 npomarede
      7 huth
*** *.txt ***
   2360 oak
   1295 eerot
    816 thothy
    507 Nicolas
    332 Thomas
    154 huth
     41 npomarede
      2 Laurent
      1 laurent29
      1 laurent

As I've touched most documentation lines, there were also more
instances of the contracted form.  I don't think I can promise to
consistently use the formal form without automated tests for it.

Automated test should be able to detect contracted forms more
reliably than formal ones (as they use a single word).   I'm fine
if somebody converts all docs and adds such a test.

	- Eero

PS. stats for last person touching given line of code:
for ext in c h py sh; do
  echo "*** *.$ext ***";
  hg files "glob:**.$ext" | xargs hg blame -u |\
  cut -d: -f1 | tr -d ' ' | sort -n | uniq -c | sort -nr;
done
*** *.c ***
  71376 Nicolas
  30937 thothy