Re: [hatari-devel] New drive image settings

Am Sun, 7 Oct 2018 09:12:43 +0200
schrieb Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions regarding the new drive image settings.
>
> 1. SCSI is limited to device IDs 0-6, even though ID 7 is valid. In
> practice, as long as none of the connected drives requires the
> computer to support initiator identification, one can connect 8
> drives to Atari SCSI. Even with active initiator identification the
> computer must not have ID 7, even though this is the usual setting.
> But a different assignment is legal, and in such a case ID 7 can be
> used by a peripheral.

Fine for me if it works ... I just read on a couple of web pages that
ID 7 is normally reserved for the host, that's why I limited the GUI to
0-6 only. But if it normally does not cause problems, I can change that
for sure.

> 2. Rather exotic: What about supporting 4 IDE
> ports, i.e. 8 devices? There is (or at least was) hardware for the
> Atari supporting this: http://www.atarikit.co.uk/ide/ide.html. Alan
> confirmed (I assume he tested it) that you can stack this hardware to
> get more ports, which can then be used with HDDRIVER, where 4 ports
> are supported.

I'm currently re-working the IDE code to get away from the hard-coded
"master/slave" config settings to a more generic enumerated approach
(IDE0 + IDE1). With that it should finally be easier to support
multiple IDE interfaces, too. But I don't have real plans to implement
this, there are other more important things on my queue...

> 3. Thomas, some time ago you mentioned problems with
> the Falcon SCSI emulation. Were you able to resolve them?

No, I was not able to find the issue, so HDDriver currently still locks
up in certain cases (when loading bigger blocks in one go) in Falcon
mode. Help would be very appreciated ;-)