Re: [hatari-devel] Very slow emulation when enabling Cycle Exact

Le 14/02/2018 à 19:03, Jerome Vernet a écrit :
Hi,

Le 13/02/2018 à 22:34, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
During bootup, CPU utilization was somewhat higher.

I profiled it with Valgrind Callgrind tool.  Attached is
a callgraph of where most of the PC CPU *instructions* are spent
according to it.  Cache prefill emulation seems to cost a lot.

Yeah, that's what I can see here: fill_prefetch_030, fill_prefetch_030_ntx are using most of the CPU (about 70 %).

profiler

Nice profiler, is this an Apple tool ?

I can't see any SDL function in the profiler, nothing, so SDL is now for negligeable part in performances. BUT i found something insteresting: the second Thread at 50% is not Hatari, but an Apple thread between Hatari Audio part and MacOsX, called com.apple.audio.IOTHreadClient. This thread use 50% of CPU, even if there is no sound playing.
In any other mode (ST/TT/...), this thread use less than 1% of CPU...

Diffrerence between ST and Falcon is that falcon has an optional sound recording capability (enabled when port audio library is found)

Could you try to build without portaudio to see if this lower this extra thread ?