Re: [hatari-devel] Very slow emulation when enabling Cycle Exact

Le 13/02/2018 à 17:53, Jerome Vernet a écrit :

Cycle exact mode in 2.1 also includes cache emulation (which was not
the case in Hatari 2.0 IIRC), so this will take even more cpu.

Ah, ok. My MAcBook have a i5 at 2.4GHz. Hatari Process running at 100%.
Tested on my PC (core i5 4690 at 3.5 GHz), it's not even faster.

Those cpu can indeed be not fast enough, depending on what you try to emulate.

In short : full falcon emulation requires a really recent/powerful CPU
:)  (I also have an i7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz and it's not enough to run "030"
in realtime)
In short: this Cycle Exact option have no interest for common people ?
Or just to debug ?

It is required for most accurate emulation, especially for some demos that require perfect sync between cpu and dsp. But at the moment, cycle exact mode is not perfect either, some instructions don't have the right timing yet.
But it's still more accurate than when using "prefect mode" for example.

If you don't watch demo, you probably can disable it as you won't see many differences and it will lower your cpu usage.