Re: [hatari-devel] Very slow emulation when enabling Cycle Exact

Le 13/02/2018 à 22:52, Miro Kropáček a écrit :

On 14 February 2018 at 03:33, Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    In short : full falcon emulation requires a really recent/powerful
    CPU :)

Or: requires the DSP running in a separate thread. :)**

already discussed, this will never happen :)
the overhead to keep cpu and dsp threads in sync when they both exchange data would be so huge that emulation would be maybe 10 or 20 times slower, if not worse.

Btw am I dreaming that or sometimes it really helps to disable TT-RAM? I have a really shitty HW here (eight-core 1.67 GHz), I can observe the slowness even on the mouse cursor in desktop. ;)

Falcon mode doesn't use TT-RAM, I don't understand what you mean ?

In the emulation world, I'm afraid multi core cpu is not the solution, what you really want is a cpu with the most power per core, a single-core 4 Ghz cpu will nearly always performs better than a 4 core equivalent with less power per core.

Very low level emulation as we do in Hatari or in WinUAE is not suited at all to be splitted in several threads (this can be different on some console emulators (ps2, ps3) where part of the emulation is often at higher level and for example you will try to map all the 3D video functions of the console to the opengl equivalent)