Re: [hatari-devel] Blitter emulation corner case

On 21 May 2017 at 10:34, Douglas Little <doug694@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On ST and Falcon it should be valid to start the blitter in non-hog mode and leave it running, without restart. It will restart itself every alternate block of 64 bus cycles until complete.

I wouldn't not steal the thread but using Non HOG mode without restarting has a side effects on blitting performance.
This is because of BLiTTER's specific behaviour in NonHOG mode. More details there http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=30908&start=25#p313292

Below my figures for blitting on real hardware - Falcon and STE, both in "ST High" mode:

Hog Mode:
F030: 2,93 MB/s
STE: 1,98 MB/s

Non Hog mode _without restarting_: