[hatari-devel] CRC checks and TOS 2.08 (was: Fix display of Atari logo with extended VDI resolutions)

Am Thu, 17 Nov 2016 12:31:41 +0100
schrieb Thorsten Otto <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wednesday 16 November 2016 21:31:21 Thomas Huth wrote:
[...]
> >Is that easier? We'd need to calc the CRC in that case, so I guess
> >it's rather easier if we skip the CRC check in TOS?
>
> I think yes, because you don't have to figure out where that CRC is
> calculated for different ROM versions. And it will help for programs
> that copy the ROM into RAM in order to modify it itself, like GEMRAM.
> I have added a patch that will just do that, just in case ;)

After thinking about this for a while, I prefer to stay with the
original code for bypassing the CRC check. It's simply shorter and thus
easier to read in the sources.

> The third patch is for making the ROM for St-Book work. It is similar
> to 2.06 (and even has 2.06 as version in the header), but makes some
> accesses to 0xd00000 which i had to patch out (TOS 3.06 also makes an
> access to 0xd000e0 very early, dunno why that does not give a
> buserror on Hatari). When setting the machine type to MSTE, this
> should work now.

I had a quick look at this now, too (and committed your patch), but
it still crashes for me after the memory test. Did you get to the
Desktop?
Also after reading some articles about the ST-Book, I don't think it
was STE compatible. The TOS currently rather crashes in plain Mega-ST
mode because it tries to access the 0xff9200 register, which indicates
that this machine had DIP-switches, too. But the Mega-ST did not have
this register, just the Mega-STE and TT, so that's why you're getting
further in Mega-STE mode.