Re: [hatari-devel] Re: Next release

On 22 Oct 2016 at 10:47, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:

> Le 21/10/2016 à 23:44, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
>
> > This is correct (or at least better) link:
> >
> https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel/2012/06/msg0
> 0107.html
> >

> > I.e. Hatari can crash when Atari program has buggy DMA handling,
> > because wrong dmaRecord.frameCounter value can scribble all over
> > Hatari's own memory, or over the emulated memory.
> >

> This looks like a bug involving an old emutos version, do you know what
> emutos version was used ?
> With latest emutos, I don't see a crash and sound play correctly.

Looking at the thread, it seems that the problem occurred because the DMA
registers were set incorrectly.  This was a consequence of earlier versions of
EmuTOS not initialising them.  However, since a badly written user program
could also set them incorrectly on any version of EmuTOS (or Atari TOS), a
badly-written user program could apparently crash Hatari (or at least earlier
versions).  As pointed out here:
https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel/2012/06/msg000
98.html
this should never happen.

So, IMO, the problem may just have gone away because of improvements to EmuTOS;
no-one seems to be able to say that it has actually been fixed.

Roger