Re: [hatari-devel] Mega ST(E)

Am Sat, 28 May 2016 19:45:04 +0200
schrieb Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Le 28/05/2016 à 19:05, Thomas Huth a écrit :
>
> > I thought about this for a while ... and maybe it would be best to
> > move all CPU related options into a separate dialog? With the
> > WinUAE core, we've got now plenty of CPU options, so they would
> > justify a dialog on their own, wouldn't they? Then we would also
> > have space in the "System" dialog again, where you could put in new
> > options like the wakeup state settings, I think (we could place
> > them in a box labeled "Advanced settings" there, so it is clear
> > that they should only be touched by people who know what they are
> > doing ;-)).
> >
> > But the main problem is maybe rather: How to add another button to
> > the main dialog, without disturbing the nice 3x4 button raster that
> > we currently have?
> >

> I think we can have 2 options :
>   - keep all cpu options in another dialog and use free space for
> wakeup states and other new options ; so, split between cpu and others
>
>   - have a "simplified" settings window with some cpu settings (the
> most common ones, maybe just the choice of cpu and accuracy) and some
> other options ; and then have an advanced settings, with cpu related
> settings (24/32 bit addressing, maybe cache or not) and some video
> settings (wakeup states for example) ; so, split between
> common/simple options and advanced options.
>
> Maybe the 2nd way would be clearer and less confusing for average
> users, but I have no string opinion, both have pros and cons.

I've now taken a stab at it and implemented the first option, since I
find it a little bit hard to draw a real good line between "simple" and
"advanced" option. For example, most of the people who used an Atari in
the past likely know what a "blitter" is, but is that also true for
people who started with Atari emulation just very recently? So would the
blitter option be a simple or an advanced option? If in doubt, you have
to look up the dialog descriptions in the manual anyway, so I think
it's easier to group the options into "CPU" and other generic "System"
settings.

Please have a look whether this is OK now, or whether we should rather
try something different...