Re: [hatari-devel] From a short trip to Windows land

 Hi Eero,

Am Sun, 15 May 2016 19:24:08 +0300

> On 05/15/2016 02:23 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> [...]
> > I had to work around some GCC-isms and some minor header file
> > problems that we had in the recent Hatari sources, but then I was
> > finally able to compile a Hatari.exe binary and to see the little
> > green desktop here, too.
>
> Some comments on your changes:
>
> * Variable length arrays are C99 feature.  Are there
>    still Visual Studio versions which don't support C99?

I used the very latest Visual Studio Community 2015 edition. It does
apparently not feature VLAs yet.
But I have to admit that alloca looks somewhat uglier than a VLA. So if
we agree to not support Visual Studio (as I wrote in my original mail,
it was just an experiment and I don't want to actively maintain this),
I'm also fine with reverting that patch again. (and I'm sure that VS
will catch up this feature soon, you can see some blog entries from
Microsoft which indicate that they are considering to add VLAs to
Visual Studio).

> *  "Remove __attribute__((packed) from struct partition.
>      Since all members of this struct are aligned to their
>      natural boundaries, there should not be any padding here
>      and we thus can get rid of the compiler-specific attribute."
>
> -> Structs can have their own padding requirements in architecture
>     ABIs.  For example 32-bit longs have 4-byte alignment, but
>     structures may have 8-byte alignment.

You mean there could be a padding at the end of the structure?
That should not be an issue here anyway, since it's not used like an
array in the code here.

> * You broke NatFeats SCSI message.  It's about media change
>    notifications on *systems with udev*. On other systems
>    the code works fine without that support.

Oh, sorry. Could you maybe suggest a better message that is not as long
as the original text?