Re: [hatari-devel] A question about the debugger

On 12 Sep 2015 at 1:15, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> On perjantai 11 syyskuu 2015, Roger Burrows wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the debugger to figure out a problem that occurs under
> > EmuTOS.  I have an initialisation file with:
> > --------------------
> > symbols etos256us.sym
> > trace cpu_symbols
> > history cpu 2000
> > --------------------
> >
> > I'm using the following command (from a Windows command prompt) to run a
> > recent 1.9.0 test version of Hatari under Windows 7 (64-bit):
> > --------------------
> > hatari_falcon.exe --debug-except bus,autostart --parse debugger.ini -s 4
> > --tos etos256us.img --log-file debug.log --trace-file debug.trace
> > --------------------
> >
> > I expected the trace info to go into "debug.trace" but it just goes to a
> > (separate) windows console instead.  What am I doing wrong?  How do I get
> > *all* the trace & debugging info to go to a file that I can browse
> > later?
>
> "logfile" command in the debugger (script) can be used to
> redirect register, memory and disassembly dumps to a file. [1]
>
> Same applies to shown CPU symbols regardless of whether
> they're shown as part of dissassembly dump or trace output.
>
> I think this is a bug.  Attached patch will should use the trace
> output file when symbols names are part of trace output.  But if
> you don't want to build your own Hatari, just use "logfile" command.

OK, I'm just using the "logfile" command.  The symbol trace is going into the
file ok.  However, although a crash occurs, the debugger is not entered and the
music continues to play for a while.  So I have no history of cpu execution
prior to the crash, and the symbol trace isn't that useful either.  Also,
although I added gemdos tracing, the GEMDOS trace goes to the console window
rather than the trace file.

This is the debugger.ini file:
------------------
logfile debug.log
symbols etos256us.sym
trace cpu_symbols,gemdos
history cpu 2000
------------------
and this is the Windows command line:
hatari_falcon.exe --natfeats true --debug-except bus --parse debugger.ini -s 4
--tos etos256us.img

What now?

Roger
P.S. I think ALL Hatari debugging output should go to one file, so you can see
the sequence of events in one place.  Perhaps each line could be preceded by a
"type of output" identifier in case you wanted to disentangle them later.  But
I realise that's OT.