Re: [hatari-devel] disk image mime-types (was: hatari-ui icon)

----- Thomas Huth wrote:
> Am Fri, 14 Nov 2014 20:56:16 +0100
> schrieb Thomas Huth
>
> > Am Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:19:42 -0700 (MST)
> > schrieb David Savinkoff
> >
> > > I agree with minimizing the number of icons and mime-types.
> > > I think that any unofficial mime-types should be optional
> > > because they may be globally problematic.
> >
> > That's why I've marked the mimetypes with the "x-" prefix. If you do
> > not like that, you're welcome to register an official mime type for
> > each of the disk images that we support :-)
>
> Actually, it does not seem that hard to register official mime-types.
> I am currently considering to have a try to register the mime-types
> for .MSA and .DIM images as a start (and if that works out fine, later
> for the other disk image types, too).
>
> A question to everybody: How should the mime-types (also called media
> types nowadays) be named? My current suggestions are:
>
> For .MSA:
>
> - application/vnd.msa-disk-image
> - application/vnd.magic-shadow-archive
> - application/vnd.magic-shadow-archiver-disk-image
>
> For .DIM:
>
> - application/vnd.dim-disk-image
> - application/vnd.fast-copy-disk-image
> - application/vnd.fast-copy-dim
>
> Any preferences or other suggestions?
>
>  Thomas

Hi, I'm all for mime-types, however, I've got more questions
than answers.

1) What happens if two different parties want the .DIM extension?
2) Will this impact the mime-type?
3) How are 'magic, mime-type and extension' algorithms and
    databases impacted in Linux, Unix, Windows, Apple, other
    operating systems and web servers?
4) How is the mime-type determined if there is no Magic, and
    the file.extension is ambiguously used by several parties?

I expect the "mime-type Registrar" would have strict rules to
avoid indeterminable mime-types (with ad-hoc extensions).

If the "mime-type Registrar" is not disorganized, I would expect
that a .ST file would have to be put in a 'disk dump' category
because it has no 'magic' header. Maybe this would require
a different file.extension.