Re: [hatari-devel] [patch] AVI recording PNG compression level

Le 09/11/2014 23:49, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

That's why I was thinking that it might be useful (only) for
Falcon hi-color mode.  Assumably such mode is chosen only when
more colors = smaller color transitions are used. :-)

Even there, I'm not sure it would yeld significant results. More colors in true color mode doesn't necessarily means the resulting image is more jpeg "compliant". Consider a demo on falcon with some color plasma for example : true color mode is useful as you get more colors, but the result will not really help jpeg compression.

As a general rule, I would say that anything that was hand pixeled will not benefit of jpeg compression in most cases. Unless your image is a photo or sthg like, I don't think you will gain anything from jpeg (so, in the case of Quake 2 for example, I don't think jpeg will bring any advantage).