Re: [hatari-devel] OS X performance problem

On tiistai 03 kesäkuu 2014, Bob Carpenter wrote:
> I am sure you are running Frantick without its 640K Yamaha sound file. It
> is possible to run the game without the enhanced sound file. This came
> on disk 2. I created an HD floppy to be able to fit everything on one
> disk. I purposely picked Frantick with the 640K frantrak.dat file
> because I wanted something that would take a long time to load with the
> floppy disk.
>
> Here is the Dropbox link to the HD floppy that I created for Frantick:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16276054/Frantick.st

This is the same version as I used.  With STE mode it loads the module
in few seconds (with "--slowfdc yes --statusbar yes --fast-forward yes")
and whole thing in 7 secs:
***************************************
*   Frantick Audio Track Detected!!   *
***************************************

FRANTICK RIFFS <1>
Original music by Dave Munsie.
Using YAMAHA keyboards.

***************************************
*   Please turn up the volume...      *
***************************************

639495 Bytes loading...please wait.

"--fastfdc yes" option slightly decreases the time and with
"--statusbar off --drive-led off" it takes ~5 secs in STE mode.

In ST mode, module isn't loaded and startup takes 3 seconds,
regardless of statusbar i.e. it really seems to be related
to disk loading.

With Hatari v1.6.2, it takes 2-3s to start in *STE mode* with
statusbar i.e. it's considerably faster.  Either using ST mode
or disabling statusbar makes startup time into 2 secs.

I.e. the issue seems to be really related to disk load updates
and statusbar.  However, when I profiled it, statusbar update
took only 0.1% and screen drawing calling it only 0.7% of CPU.
This is expected because fast forward uses frame skipping.

(FDC interrupt handling, which isn't involved in CPU usage related
to statusbar updates, took 35% of Hatari CPU.)

What "FS" value you see in statusbar when you enable fast
forwarding (I see default 5)?

Is it same for your old and new Hatari versions?

> Unfortunately, Frantick does not allow you to put the frantrak.dat file
> on a separate floppy.

According to frantrak.doc it does...?

> Because of this, I do not know if HD floppies are
> slower to load than DD floppies. I would have preferred to leave the HD
> floppy out of the equation.

I don't think it matters.

	- Eero