Re: [hatari-devel] OS X performance problem

On Fri, 30 May 2014, Eero Tamminen wrote:

Yes, although everything else is smooth as butt so I imagine things are
normally using OpenGL for all that. For example, throwing up 1080p or
even 1440p movies with VLC in a window is no issue, not a frame drop and
the datarate from that wastly overshadows Hatari. But again, that's
not SDL.

Videos normally use FPS that's half of Atari's screen update frequency.

Yeah but a 1080p let alone 1440p is 4.3 times more data per frame, and at 1440p 7.7 times more so double framerate doesn't make up for it. But just to be sure I recorded Hatari itself and made 1080p video from it at full 50 Hz rate. The video player throws it around like it's nothing.

But Thomas had some nice ideas that might help (consolidating the SDL_UpdateRects into one call). I'm looking forward to the day it might becaome real :)

--
Anders Eriksson
ae@xxxxxx     http://www.dhs.nu/