Re: [hatari-devel] Adding more information to statusbar

Le 02/05/2014 09:14, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
Hi,

On torstai 01 toukokuu 2014, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
Le 01/05/2014 19:49, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
That's a good idea!

First row could be for for indicators:
- drive activity leds
- current floppy track
- frame skip
- sound/video recording led

It could look something like this:
  [] A:23 [] B:-- [] HD  FS: 0  [] REC   F1 for options
                                         Console Debugger
                                         Paused

Hi

On the 1st line, I'd like to keep 10-15 chars for the FDC infos, so I'm not sure it leaves enough space for the message on the right ? We should also consider that when we start with "-z 1", the status bar is a little narrower, so display should work in this case too.

- possible other HW access leds (blitter, sound DMA, Mic?)

Nicolas, what do you think of showing leds for other HW,
for what HW it would make sense?

I remember a patch was sent for blitter at one time. I'm not sure about dma sound and mic being useful.

It could look something like:
  4MB 16Mhz 030 (WinUAE) VGA JOY:JK--- TOS v3.06 Falcon

Maybe "Machine" first as this looks like the more important choice in the emulation ? Then RAM, speed, cpu, TOS, screen, joystick ?

Any suggestions how I could best show CPU (prefetch, cycle exact,
MMU), FPU (none, 68881, 68882, internal) and DSP (none, dummy, full)
emulation options?

As space is short, which of them would be more important info
than e.g. CPU core or monitor type?

Regarding prefetch, cycle exact and MMU, I would say that default values should be left untouched, so any user that want to change them should be aware of what he did, no need to display the result. Same for DSP, default is to enable it, if you change it, you should know it (and I don't think it remains a lot of programs where you don't want to enable DSP in falcon mode)

Of course, sometimes people might change options without knowing it or by mistake, but there's nothing we can do about it, displaying it in the status bar won't make the user understand better.

FPU could be dislayed if we have some space left, not sure if that's useful to have it in the status bar when you can see it in the option screen with F12.

CPU core type has really strong effect on emulation (WinUAE core works
better for Falcon emulation, much worse for ST/STE), so accidentally
using wrong hatari build is very relevant for bug reports or when
otherwise testing Falcon compatibility with different cores.

When we have just one core, we can just replace that info in statusbar
with something else.

I don't think we should waste space now just because we add a 2nd row. If people accidentally run the wrong exe and report bug, then we will ask anyway "what build did you run ?".

As for prefecth or cycle exact, these options are suppose to disappear one day (even today, I would not recommand to change prefetch or cycle exact), displaying them in so little space will just confuse the user with touch information / acronyms.

Maybe we can display CPU type as 000/020/030 and FPU as 881/882 ; so a 68030 with FPU would be "030+881" (if we have 2 extra chars, better put "68030" in full)

If you think value of 1 should really be used always, change the default,
maybe add also a warning on startup if it's not 1.

I plan to put spec512 threshold to "1" for next release, so no more need to display it.