Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari screen options (was: Hatari manual.html)

----- Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On sunnuntai 23 helmikuu 2014, David Savinkoff wrote:
> > > Is your monitor 4:3?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Hatari gets resolution list from SDL, which queries it from
> > > the underlying system.  If either your monitor, or OS display
> > > manager don't support 400x300, you're not getting it.
> >
> > Both, my good old CRT monitor and video card natively
> > support the modes mentioned with xorg.
> >
> > My old LCD monitor is 1280x1024 60Hz-75Hz, and automagically
>
> 1280x1024 = 5:4, not 4:3.

Close enough... It looked like 4:3 (I just measured the screen).
Thus my 5:4 aspect ratio LCD monitor has square pixels in
its native resolution of 1280x1024

> It's also possible that libSDL has also its own filtering
> for the available resolutions.
>
> > 'Just Works Beautifully' with the same hardware and settings as
> > my CRT monitor (I just plug in one monitor or the other).
> >
> > Hatari should not be held back by below average monitors and
> > crippleware when one can go to a junk pile for a computer,
> > monitor, and Red Hat 6.2 installation CDs to compile and
> > use the latest Hatari and other software from the Internet.
>
> To get some more output from Hatari on resolutions, set:
> 	#define DEBUG 0
>
> in resolution.c to "1".  Mail the output it produces.

Done. I also tried out the new menus you made.

Note that the auto-magic in my monitor supersedes whatever
the Hatari output says in the attached file because my computer
is not laboring to convert 416x312 to 1280x1024, and I'm using
CentOS 5 on a 1GHz pentium3.

My CRT monitor (not tested today) obviously changes video modes
because I can see the effects on the screen, and hear relays clicking.

I am now convinced that any modern Monitor can seamlessly
display anything thrown at it (or should be able to do so).
This means that Hatari only needs to be concerned with
emulation, not scaling. Any video processing should be
#ifdef so that it can can be removed when it becomes obsolete.

[user@zero ~]$ /home/user/hatari/bin/hatari
fdc enable drive=0 on
fdc enable drive=1 on
fdc enable drive=0 on
fdc enable drive=1 on
Hatari v1.7.0, compiled on:  Feb 23 2014, 13:12:12
Desktop resolution: 1280x1024
Configured max Hatari resolution = 416x312.
resolution: request limits for: 0x0x0
resolution: video mode asked: 0x0x0 (fullscreen)
resolution: searching a good video mode (any bpp)
resolution: largest found video mode: 1280x1024
resolution: video mode selected: 1280x1024x0
resolution: limit to user configured max
Building CPU table for configuration: 68000 (compatible mode)
1874 CPU functions
Building CPU function table (0 1 1).
GEMDOS HDD emulation, G: <-> /home/user/atari/hd/G.
GEMDOS HDD emulation, H: <-> /home/user/atari/hd/H.
Loaded TOS version 2.06, starting at $e00000, country code = 3, PAL
Applying TOS patch 'ROM checksum'.
Applying TOS patch 'boot from DMA bus'.
Applied 2 TOS patches, 0 patches failed.
resolution: request limits for: 0x0x0
resolution: video mode asked: 0x0x0 (fullscreen)
resolution: searching a good video mode (any bpp)
resolution: largest found video mode: 1280x1024
resolution: video mode selected: 1280x1024x0
resolution: limit to user configured max
NVRAM loaded from '/home/user/.hatari/hatari.nvram'
Joystick 0: Logitech Logitech Dual Action
Joystick 0 maps axis 0 and 1 (*DEFAULT*)
Joystick 1: Logitech Inc. WingMan Extreme Digital 3D
Joystick 1 maps axis 0 and 1 (*DEFAULT*)
Host system has accurate delays. (4)
resolution: request limits for: 0x0x0
resolution: video mode asked: 0x0x0 (windowed)
resolution: All resolutions available.
resolution: video mode selected: 0x0x0
resolution: limit to user configured max