Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari screen options (was: Hatari manual.html)

Hi Eero,

Thank you for fixing the Hatari screen options.

----- Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On sunnuntai 23 helmikuu 2014, David Savinkoff wrote:
> > > It's --desktop-st option.
> >
> > OK, that is the ST version of the Falcon's "Keep desktop resolution"
> >
> > I have not had a problem that required this option on either my
> > ViewSonic LCD monitor, or my NEC Mulitsync95 CRT monitor.
>
> My HP LA2205wg monitor has at least second delay in switching
> resolution, and KDE desktop takes another second to re-layout
> desktop (large number of app windows etc) after resolution switch.

> > > Does that height include statusbar with larger font?
> >
> > No status bar or font. (see my usual setup above)
>
> Where do you get 312 height for 1x Atari resolution?
> AFAIK Atari ST/e cannot support that high low/med overscan
> resolution.

416x312 is an Apple(tm) de facto standard resolution, slightly larger
than the largest area that Hatari renders at Atari Low resolution.

> > > (AFAIK max Atari overscan height is <300.)

> There's no standard mode for that, so I doubt your LCD
> monitor supports such thing. See:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Vector_Video_Standards4.svg

800x600 is a distinguished standard that makes this exclusive list.

800x600 can be cropped to fit a DVD (no scaling).
400x300 is 1/4 800x600 that can be cropped to fit a VCD or DVD.

If Hatari's ST/STe doubled resolution mode were cropped to 800x600,
one would get a perfect picture and standard video mode that would
be as future-proof as the Great Pyramids. 400x300 has size and
performance benefits too.

Excellent info here:
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/conversion/

> > > Proper in which sense?
> >
> > Hatari displays more pixels than would be seen on original hardware.
> > If I were to select 416x312 and put opaque tape around the edges of
> > my monitor so that only 400x300 were visible, I would have a perfect
> > Atari ST emulation.
> > (original 4:3 aspect ratio)
> > (400x300 standard video mode with the least pixels)
> > (MPEG 1,2,4 friendly)
>
> Is your monitor 4:3?
Yes.

> Hatari gets resolution list from SDL, which queries it from
> the underlying system.  If either your monitor, or OS display
> manager don't support 400x300, you're not getting it.

Both, my good old CRT monitor and video card natively
support the modes mentioned with xorg.

My old LCD monitor is 1280x1024 60Hz-75Hz, and automagically
'Just Works Beautifully' with the same hardware and settings as
my CRT monitor (I just plug in one monitor or the other).

Hatari should not be held back by below average monitors and
crippleware when one can go to a junk pile for a computer,
monitor, and Red Hat 6.2 installation CDs to compile and
use the latest Hatari and other software from the Internet.

> I removed that heading from the SDL GUI and added ST/e option
> for desktop resolution + moved the options around a bit in
> the help output.  Hopefully that does what you wanted.

Looks good. I'll be trying it out.