Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari screen options (was: Hatari manual.html)

On sunnuntai 23 helmikuu 2014, David Savinkoff wrote:
> > It's --desktop-st option.
>
> OK, that is the ST version of the Falcon's "Keep desktop resolution"
>
> I have not had a problem that required this option on either my
> ViewSonic LCD monitor, or my NEC Mulitsync95 CRT monitor.

My HP LA2205wg monitor has at least second delay in switching
resolution, and KDE desktop takes another second to re-layout
desktop (large number of app windows etc) after resolution switch.

> > > I like 1X scale for ST Low Resolution. The other scale factors
> > > are simply a necessary evil.  eg.640x200 --> 640x400
> > >
> > > The best low resolution at 1X is: --max-width 416  --max-height 312
> >
> > Does that height include statusbar with larger font?
>
> No status bar or font. (see my usual setup above)

Where do you get 312 height for 1x Atari resolution?
AFAIK Atari ST/e cannot support that high low/med overscan
resolution.

> > (AFAIK max Atari overscan height is <300.)
> >
> > > Please don't change this. One thing I would like to see is a properly
> > > cropped 400x300 mode.

There's no standard mode for that, so I doubt your LCD
monitor supports such thing. See:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Vector_Video_Standards4.svg

> > Proper in which sense?
>
> Hatari displays more pixels than would be seen on original hardware.
> If I were to select 416x312 and put opaque tape around the edges of
> my monitor so that only 400x300 were visible, I would have a perfect
> Atari ST emulation.
> (original 4:3 aspect ratio)
> (400x300 standard video mode with the least pixels)
> (MPEG 1,2,4 friendly)

Is your monitor 4:3?

Hatari gets resolution list from SDL, which queries it from
the underlying system.  If either your monitor, or OS display
manager don't support 400x300, you're not getting it.

> 1)
> Note that the original topic of this email was that
> --max-width <x>
> --max-height <x>
> are documented as exclusively Falcon/TT options when they are not.
> 2)
> Hatari's SDL menu for max-width and max-height is incorrectly laid out
> under the Falcon/TT section .

I removed that heading from the SDL GUI and added ST/e option
for desktop resolution + moved the options around a bit in
the help output.  Hopefully that does what you wanted.