Re: [hatari-devel] Re: Hatari floppy drive detection with EmuTOS

----- Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> Le 16/01/2014 01:09, David Savinkoff a écrit :
> >> Note that to detect index pulses you normally need one drive, but also
> >> one floppy in it.
> >
> > On 3.5" drives, the index is in the drive. Thus, no floppy is required.
> >

> Are you sure of that, do you have some tech doc on this, datasheet for a
> particular model ?
>
> This would explain a lot of things, but I think I read on the contrary
> that many drives (not 3.5'') had internal index, while the 3.5'' relied
> on the one present on the floppy (and as far as I understand their code,
> the IPF library that emulates the WD1772 also assumes index on the floppy)
>
> Nicolas

I recently disassembled my SF354 and also a modern Samsung and also saw
a picture on atari-forum. None require a floppy inserted because the sensor
is beside the motor. It doubt any 3.5" drives rely on a floppy disk to be
present.

David