Re: [hatari-devel] Re: Hatari floppy drive detection with EmuTOS

Le 15/01/2014 20:49, Roger Burrows a écrit :
On 15 Jan 2014 at 18:56, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:

approx 1.5 sec per drive to complete would match the time needed to do
the spin up associated to the restore command (if the head is already
near track 0) ; but what I don't understand yet is that the WD1772 doc
says it needs to count 6 revolutions (index hole) from the floppy drive
to determine when the spin up is good.

But my understanding about this is that if the drive is disconnected,
you will never receive the index pulse, so the revolutions counter will
stay at "0", spin up will never complete, and restore will never
complete too, because it needs spin up to complete first.

Ah, I see your point!  That's what the WD1772 docs seem to say.  Perhaps, as
long as you have at least 1 drive connected (which is all I've tested on real
hardware), then the FDC sees the index pulses from the _connected_ drive when
it's trying to do a restore on the _unconnected_ drive?  In other words, the
restore will only complete as long as at least one drive is connected.  It
seems unlikely, but who knows?  If I don't have any drives connected, loading
EmuTOS is going to be tricky ...

No, I don't think that the case, signals are really separated when you choose one drive or the other. And it wouldn't solve the case where you only have one drive and it still detected.

Note that to detect index pulses you normally need one drive, but also one floppy in it. So, there must be something else in the WD1772 (maybe an internal timeout), else a disk with no floppy would not be able to do the spin up sequence either. Which means only drive with a floppy would be detected, which is obviously not the case.

By doing a restore without spinup and just testing if signal TRK0 is received, you can check if a drive is ON, without having to bother about the spin up.

But for now, I don't see what part of the doc explain how the spinup succeed when the drive if off or empty.

Here are the floppy detection times (in clock ticks) from my tests:
1) Both drives connected
   Time to detect presence of drive A: 258
   Time to detect presence of drive B: 1
The time for drive A is mostly motor spinup time (6 revolutions at approx 300
rpm is 1.2 seconds = 240 ticks).  Drive B was obviously at track 0 to begin
with.

2) Only drive A connected
   Time to detect presence of drive A: 258
   Time to detect absence of drive B:  153

I looked at my docs again and the step time for step rate 0x03 is actually
3msec: 3*255 = 0.765 seconds = 153 ticks!  Again drive A is spinup time.

Regards,
Roger

Thanks for those numbers, they confirm the effect of the spin up sequence that I need to analyze better.

Regarding case 1), drive B is detected immediatly because when you select another drive, the WD1772 is not aware of that. So the status register remains with "motor on + spin up complete" (even if drive B has no motor running !), which means the restore command+spinup completes very fast on B, as the head is already on track 0 I guess.

I'm working on other parts of the WD1772 emulation at the moment, so I can't mix too many things at the same time in the code, I will come back at this spinup "problem" after.

Thanks