Re: [hatari-devel] Compiling Mercurial version of Hatari

Jerome,

Thank you for the tip. It led me in the right direction. It turns out that the header files were not installed in /usr/include. They seem to be hidden somewhere within the Xcode application bundle.

I found a webpage that showed me the command to get the header files back. In case anyone else is trying to compile Hatari in Xcode 5, the command is "xcode-select --install". It will ask you whether it is ok to install the tools. Once I said "Yes" and let it do its thing, I could find zlib.h and lots of other header files in /usr/include. After that, it was simple to compile Hatari as always.

As to your question, you can try changing the system version to 10.6.8 in this file /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist and then try installing Xcode 3 on a newer OS X version. You would want to change it back after installing Xcode 3. However, I have no idea if Xcode 3 would even run on 10.8 or 10.9 even if you hacked the system version file temporarily.

It is a waste of space, but it might be safer to create a virtual 10.6.8 running under VirtualBox for doing the Xcode compiles. I wish Apple had kept Universal Binary support going forward but I am not surprised at all.

Bob C