Re: [hatari-devel] Possible 1.7 regression

Le 18/06/2013 01:27, Troed Sångberg a écrit :
This just got even more strange.

Recap: I have an image, an .ST file, that I put something I develop on
and test with Hatari. I also every now and then convert that very same
.ST file to HFE format and load on my HxC Floppy Emu and test on a real
STE. The content on that .ST file (normal files, normal image) works
fine on Hatari 1.6.2 (and earlier) as well as on my STE. I change the
files on this image regularly while developing.

When I tried a Mac build of 1.7 my program suddenly crashed. I debugged
it extensively, and even though all calls to gemdos are correct and
return the correct values the actual _content_ I load into memory
(files, different ones, using F_READ) have the first 10*256 bytes
replaced with what looks like the first track of the _disk_ (at least
the FAT is visibly there), although there seems to be some layout
difference. The rest of the file loads correctly (60-80kb depending on
which). This with TOS, tested with 1.4/1.62/2.06, and only when loaded
from AUTO. It works with EmuTOS however, as well as with TOS when loaded
from desktop.

The update: When creating a stripped down version for you to test with,
I had problems recreating the error. Finally, frustrated, I took the
_same_ files (verified with diff!) and put on a new image - and that new
image works fine on the Hatari 1.7 build as well.

The files are _the same_ - and it cannot be a case of corrupt image
since the original image works on other versions of Hatari as well as on
target hardware (converted by the HxC software). I use Hatari to create
the images, and they are of the same configuration (80/9).

I'm at a loss, sorry. It does however indicate, in my view, that this
should be treated as a freak incident and not affect any release
schedules on your part. I can (and have been for a few hours, testing
all possible combinations) still replicate this issue at will with the
original image and copies of it made on my host system of course - but
that doesn't really help anyone.

At a future unspecified point in time I'll happily share the image
(copies have been made if it should suddenly correct itself) - but I
will stop spending time on this issue myself now since the few hours of
Atari-time I can extract I want to spend with the content of the image
instead ... :P

Hello

could it be a problem with the OSX compilation of Hatari ? Do you have access to a Windows or Linux machine to test if your disk image also crashes or not ? Such results as you get really look suspicious and could be due to memory corruption following some errors during compilation (optimisations flags and so on).

If you still have this .ST file that still crashes with Hatari 1.7 and not 1.6.2, keep it for later, it would be interesting to have a look at it later when it's released.

Anyway, I think it's time to release Hatari 1.7 in the next few days now :)