Re: [hatari-devel] Extended VDI screen in Falcon mode

On maanantai 04 helmikuu 2013, Vincent Rivière wrote:
> On 04/02/2013 00:31, Roger Burrows wrote:
> > EmuTOS allocates memory for screen RAM at the top of Falcon memory.  It
> > reserves 300K which is the largest amount it needs for any legal screen
> > size. I suggest that Hatari limits its extended screen resolutions
> > accordingly.
>
> The problem is similar on ST, where the allocated screen memory is
> always 32 kB. Not enough for extended resolutions.
>
> IIRC, Thomas said that that he used a very clever trick to allow
> extended resolutions. Since the screen is always at the very end of the
> ST-RAM, he just artificially extends the ST-RAM to fit the extended
> resolution requirements. Very simple and efficient.

Thomas, where in the code that happens?   I see only Hatari's internal
ST screen conversion buffers to use max. VDI screen size, and VDI/Line-A
variable changing.

> Hatari should use the same same strategy for Falcon extended video
> modes. The situation is similar, anyway.

What's the point of this support?  The reason for using VDI mode
with ST/STE/TT is that it offers larger resolutions than the standard
ones, for cleanly written programs.

However, Falcon's Videl & TOS v4 support larger resolutions than
ST/STE and their TOS versions.  "Videl Inside" v1.2 settings utility
lists 1664x592 as the largest resolution supported on RGB/TV monitor
for 1, 16 and 256 colors (with interlace).  Except for monochrome,
this is larger than what Hatari VDI mode supports now...

Videl Inside 1664x592 16-color mode works fine with TOS v4.x,
why it doesn't work with latest EmuTOS?