Re: [hatari-devel] Extended VDI screen in Falcon mode

On 03/02/2013 23:06, Eero Tamminen wrote:
EmuTOS  v0.8.7 boots up and its desktop looks fine for 1&  4 -plane modes
under Falcon emulation, same as with ST mode.

EmuTOS 0.8.7 is incompatible with Hatari extended VDI screens. Please don't use it, and test with the latest EmuTOS snapshot instead.

but clearly something is wrong with the VIDEL in Falcon mode.

If so, I think that was EmuTOS regression as v0.8.7 seemed to work
fine in 1&  4-plane modes.

I suspect that the actual EmuTOS behaviour depends on the contents of the Hatari NVRAM. This should not happen when the extended VDI screen option is checked.

To support extended modes on Falcon hardware, I propose that Hatari
overrides the NVRAM boot video mode. It can be found at offset 0x0e in
the NVRAM.

Actually, at offset 28, at least if counting in bytes (like Hatari)
and not words (like EmuTOS?). :-)

See there:
http://toshyp.atari.org/en/004009.html#Assignment_20of_20the_20real-time_20clock_27s_20NVM

vmode is at offset 14 (in decimal).

2&  16-color modes seem to work fine with EmuTOS without NVRAM hacks.

Only 4-color mode seems to need it.

As I told you, when EmuTOS (and probably TOS) runs on VIDEL hardware, it initializes the screen according to the video mode in the NVRAM. Hatari can extend the screen resolution (dimensions) through Line A hacks, but as I explained it can't change the color depth after the first initialization.

When it works for you, this is because your NVRAM video mode more or less matches (by chance) the extended video mode color depth.

Attached is a test patch for it.

This looks good, I will test it when possible.

Those take 300kB, 1024x608 didn't anymore work, and that just
takes 4kB more.

See my other message.

--
Vincent Rivière