Re: [hatari-devel] Fwd: Atari TT memory configuration

On 30 Jan 2013 at 13:48, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> Btw. I noticed from Wikipedia that Atari TTs had 2-12 MB of
> ST-RAM, not upto 14MB as supported by Hatari.
>
> When I asked on debian m68k mailing list about typical TT
> memory amounts, this was the answer:
>
> On keskiviikko 30 tammikuu 2013, Björn Buske wrote:
> > On 2013-01-30 09:31, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > > I'm not really sure what kind of amounts of ST-RAM and Fast RAM
> > > real TT machines typically have.  Just the default 2MB of ST-RAM
> > > and rest Fast RAM?
> >
> > Tha vast majority of TTs sold had an additional 2 MB of ST-RAM fitted as
> > an extension board, so this would make 4 MB the most common ST-RAM
> > figure. Some rare exceptions have an 8 MB extension board fitted, making
> > it a total of 10 MB of ST-RAM, but these are really hard to find. Users
> > would commonly use TT-RAM for memory expansion, as with TOS 4 MB ST-RAM
> > was plenty for everything that couldn't go into TT-RAM.
> >
> > As far as TT-RAM goes the common sizes fitted by Atari were 4 MB and 8
> > MB, with several third-party vendors offering TT-RAM cards with am
> > maximum of up to 256 MB. One should expect that someone interested in
> > running a modern Linux system on a TT would have one of those cards
> > installed and fitted with more than 8 MB.
>
> Should I use above information to fine-tune test memory amount
> in Hatari's TOS bootup tester?  I.e. do TT tests with 2, 4 & 10 MB?

The information above about TT-RAM (Fast RAM) is incorrect.  Atari TT-RAM
boards were either 4MB or 16MB.  Third-party boards supported more (64MB for
sure and possibly up to 256MB - I'd have to check).

My development TT has 10MB ST-RAM and 16MB TT-RAM, fwiw.

Roger Burrows