Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari manual internal links problem

On lauantai 22 joulukuu 2012, Thomas Huth wrote:
> schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > It doesn't work.
>
> I've added a fix to the toc script, so it now seems to work fine - at
> least with Firefox, Chromium and Konqueror.

It works with Chromium 6.x, but it doesn't work with Konqueror from
KDE 4.4.5.  Try a link that doesn't have ID tag, e.g:
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-
file/tip/doc/manual.html#General_options

> > I added the name tag back for Debugger section because
> > I refer a lot to that, but I would suggest adding name
> > tags also for rest of the top level sections.
>
> Please do not use named anchors anymore! They are obsolete (i.e. the
> W3 HTML validator complains about them).
> Use the id-tag instead.

ID tags seem to work to work even in text-only w3m, so these are fine.

> And I don't like the idea to re-introduce manual id-tags (or named
> anchors) for the headers again. We've had that in the past and it
> also never really worked well - they were often not up-to-date anymore.

I could write a script that automatically generates the ID attributes
for all H tags (and generates index based on those).  Same script could
also validate that all internal references are valid.

(If tuxfamily supports commit hooks, it could even be run on commits.)

> So if the fixed toc script now works with all major browsers, I'd
> rather suggest to remove the remaining manual id-tags instead.

If somebody's going to look porting Hatari to Firebee/MiNT, surely
Hatari manual should work (have index) there too.  Is there any
Atari browser which support JavaScript? :-)

(E.g. Netsurf doesn't support JavaScript, there seems to be some
preliminary underlying stuff done, but it's still long way from
being able to support it.)