Re: [hatari-devel] Adding Aranym features for Hatari?

a generic GEMDOS XFS would work (in theory) with other emulators as,
incl. Gemula8r, STEem (3.2) and TOSBOX

STonC impliments NF HOSTFS at XBIOS level, so it worked in MiNT 1.15
without any NF drivers

note that current GEMDOS usage (Path as Drive) in the above mentioned
emulators all produce CAP only 8.3 filesystems

NF filesystem drivers on the other hand allow LFN, Case Dependant
(trailing ':' in path), and (default) Case Irrelevant (converted to
lower case in the case of creating a dev file/folder)

ATM there is an issue with File Locking and Piping when using NF
HOSTFS drives, which means those drives can not be used with a lot of
build scripts (anything with console piped into CAT - incl. FreeMiNT
build scripts), and some command line tools (RPM - requires
"proper/real file locking")

If Hatari were to implement NF, and presuming the above mentioned NF
driver issues were fixed, a full SpareMiNT and GentooMiNT install and
development environment would be possible, without the use drive
images (same for ARAnyM)

A GEMDOS XFS would allow similar on most emulators (that dont have NF
support), presented as Caps only 8.3  filesystem

Paul