Re: [hatari-devel] WinUAE settings for different machine types

On tiistai 22 toukokuu 2012, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> On 21/05/2012 23:55, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > Note that as SDL system dialog [1] has both machine type and and CPU
> > settings, it cannot change the other settings after user selects
> > different machine type.  I.e. user needs to know also what else to
> > change when changing machine type in the SDL GUI.
> >
> > My patch concerns only changing machine type from command line, or
> > TOS version from GUI or CLI.  I.e. it's probably better if with SDL GUI
> > people change the machine type primarily by selecting suitable TOS. :-)
>
> Well, I'm not sure changing machine type should implicitly change
> bCompatibleCpu and bCycleExactCpu.

What I think should be done:

* Use some other setting for WinUAE CPU than bCompatibleCpu so
  that it doesn't mess old CPU settings.

* Set that new setting automatically true when TT/Falcon is selected
  and to false for ST/STE as otherwise WinUAE Hatari crashes
  (to the earlier mentioned assert).

> I think Hatari should defaut to TRUE for these variables when you start
> it the 1st time without any config file.

It already does that for bCompatibleCpu, for bCycleExactCpu it
currently defaults to false, I can change that also to be true.

> So later, if you change between falcon/TT/ST, they remain to TRUE, which
> is fine.
>
> But if the user forced them to FALSE at one point, I don't think we
> should override this. He did it at his own risk, maybe getting crashes
> or worse emulation, but there good be reasong for not wanting to have
> this set to TRUE (to save cpu power for example, as you said).

Worse emulation is acceptable, but Hatari not anymore starting at
all if user happened to save some specific setting combination from
the UI is IMHO a release blocker.