Re: [hatari-devel] Latest improvements with the new falcon CPU

On keskiviikko 21 joulukuu 2011, Laurent Sallafranque wrote:
> I take 5 minutes to list the changes I made in the new CPU (for the 1.6
> release).
>
> I have no access to my computer for now, so, Eero, if you could add this
> to the compatibility, release notes and todo list, I would be pleased.
>
> For the new CPU :
>
> It's still experimental for now.
> I've added the falcon 68030 cycles accuracy (not yet finished), but it
> covers more than 90% of the instructions.
> some instructions are still not covered by the change (MMU anf FPU
> instructions, TRAPcc, DBxx, and a few other ones). I'll add them in
> january.
>
> I'll have to rework the instruction cache management (for cycles
> accuracy) --> January.

Ok, so it's not for v1.6.

> More DSP <-> CPU accuracy.
>
> Correctly working demos, games and applis :
>
> All the demos that needed CPU32 to work are now correctly working at 16
> Mhz

I'll add note about that.  Could you first verify stuff below?

> (lostBlubb by lazer, Eko system, ...)

All of these seem now to freeze with the old CPU regardless of CPU frequency
(at least with fast forward):
* Lost Blubb
* Eko System
* Are you Experienced
* Time Out

And:
* Bound42 worked fine until the cyan millstone
  (at which point it bus errored)
* Cebit93 now draws screen wrong regardless of CPU speed

Can you verify that all of these demos work fine with WinUAE CPU core?

What about Pinball Dreams and Watership games?

With the old CPU the CPU clock doesn't anymore seem to effect whether
these work or not either.

(With former, 32Mhz doesn't anymore help menu to accept input and with
latter, it seems to work also with 16Mhz clock.)

> Some timing sensitive demos are working correctly (Rot3DBMP, bounds2,3,
> 4...) and a very good game : Crown of Creation V1.3

Bound 3 & Crown of Creation v1.1 preview (which are on the list) I tried
with old CPU, and those (still) seem to work OK with that.

Rot3dbmp froze after a while and didn't look right with the old CPU.
Bound2 froze and looked incorrect.  Bound4 lacked the ball (was frozen?).
I guess these three could be mentioned in the compatibility list.

> Some programs are still in regression (Moai 96 works with the old CPU,
> but not yet with the new one).

There seems to be already note about Moai.

> I've given some program examples, I haven't tested all of them.
>
> I think that as long as the new CPU won't be finished, we'll have to
> suggest to test Falcon programs with the 2 CPUs.
> One should try the Falcon programs he wants to see with old and new CPU.

I added note about this and MMU support to the readme.

> My Todo list for the 1.7 release :
> - Finish to complete Falcon 68030 cycles accuracy
> - work on the Videl emulation (I started it last summer, I've got ideas
> on this point I'd like to implement)

> My Todo list for later releases :
> - finish the hd_6301_cpu code
> - "perfect" falcon emu

What about fast RAM support?    That would allow (try) running
some demos that don't run in 14MB.