Re: [gluon] Review Request: metainfo branch

Hmm, I am still unsure whether this is the correct way to do it. I was just
typing a mail to give my vote for merging, but I came across some issues:

- Dynamic Properties: Dynamic properties are currently not created before
actually running the code, thus scripters do not really have any use for the
metainfo code, unless we add a way to add dynamic properties through the UI.
However, then the question arises: How is this all stored? Adding it to the
generated GDL files would not be too nice in my opinion...

- Widget types: I'd really love support for defining widget types for
properties. This sounds as something which would be nice to add to this class,
but then we get to the separation of logic and purpose, as in my opinion it is
not really the purpose of the GluonObject class to decide these kinds of
things. Which I guess is connected to my next point.

- Defining the meta info: In the SoundEmitter class you define the range of the
SoundEmitter's pitch property in the constructor. However, this kindof
destroys the purpose of lazy instantiation, because for every SoundEmitter the
metainfo object is now constructed, even if it is never used. As soon as we
start adding support for this object in other objects, we will have a growing
list of objects that create objects for which there is a big chance that they
will never be used during game-runtime, only during creator-runtime.

While I realize some of these might be solved relatively easy, I really think
we should discuss this a little bit more. Especially the separation of game-
related code from editor-related code is one that, in my opinion, is really
important to keep in mind.

- ahiemstra

---
Gluon is a high-level game development library for the KDE desktop enviornment.
http://gluon.tuxfamily.org/
http://gitorious.org/gluon