Re: [eigen] GitLab migration is starting now!

We moved YADE to gitlab about a year ago, and I found that the default
merge request merging with a rebase before (clicking the green
"rebase" button) works the best for us.

Especially important to keep all the commits fully compilable and
working. Which fortunately is possible thanks to CI. Then in case of
bugs you can always do git bisect and not worry about code not
compiling.

best regards
Janek

Christoph Hertzberg said:     (by the date of Thu, 5 Dec 2019 19:30:30 +0100)

> We used to have a linear-history policy when we started with mercurial
> -- obviously mistakes where made over time (and I'm definitely not happy
> with that when browsing through the history, doing bisects, etc)
>
> At least for trivial changes all relevant information should be
> contained in the commit-message itself (of course one question is until
> when is a change "trivial")
>

> I found the setting (under "Settings/General/Merge requests"). There is
> also a semi-linear history option (essentially the same, but with a
> merge-commit), which might be a compromise to at least avoid commit
> graphs spanning over hundreds of commits).
>
> Especially, once we seriously start with CI, I totally agree that having
> all relevant information of the PR available would be great.
>
> Other opinions?
>
> Christoph
>

> On 05/12/2019 19.15, Joel Holdsworth wrote:
> > That's not typical usage in GitLab.
> >
> > The main reason not to is that it will destroy the information from the MR.
> >
> > If you do a merge, it will include any text I write in the MR
> > description, the user who submitted the MR, the comitter, the MR's ID
> > etc. - which is all useful information for record keeping.
> >
> > If you cherry-pick my commits you will lose all that.
> >
> > It would make sense to keep the commit history if it were linear from
> > the start like the Wine project's Git repo, but for history which
> > already has many merges, I don't see much benefit, personally.
> >
> > Joel
> >
> > On 12/5/19 6:07 PM, Christoph Hertzberg wrote:
> >> I don't seem to be able to rebase/fast-forward merge this (I don't
> >> like polluting our history with trivial changes).
> >>
> >> @Gael: Are there any project settings which need to be done for that?
> >>
> >> Christoph

> --
>   Dr.-Ing. Christoph Hertzberg
>
>   Besuchsadresse der Nebengeschäftsstelle:
>   DFKI GmbH
>   Robotics Innovation Center
>   Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
>   28359 Bremen, Germany
>
>   Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:
>   DFKI GmbH
>   Robotics Innovation Center
>   Robert-Hooke-Straße 1
>   28359 Bremen, Germany
>
>   Tel.:     +49 421 178 45-4021
>   Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
>   E-Mail:   christoph.hertzberg@xxxxxxx
>
>   Weitere Informationen: http://www.dfki.de/robotik
>    -------------------------------------------------------------
>    Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
>    Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
>
>    Geschäftsführung:
>    Prof. Dr. Antonio Krüger (Vorsitzender)
>    Dr. Walter Olthoff
>
>    Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
>    Dr. Gabriël Clemens
>    Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313

Janek Kozicki, PhD. DSc. Arch. Assoc. Prof.
Gdańsk University of Technology
Faculty of Applied Physics and Mathematics
Department of Theoretical Physics and Quantum Information
--
http://yade-dem.org/
http://pg.edu.pl/jkozicki (click English flag on top right)