Re: [eigen] Advice on contributing a module for a multithreaded, supernodal, MPL-licensed sparse-direct LDLT/LDLH solver?

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 6:28 PM Jack Poulson <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Gael,

Interesting! I hadn't run a comparison against CholMod yet (but it is obviously the gold standard). There is a slight amount of automatic algorithmic switching that needs to be added in (https://gitlab.com/hodge_star/catamari/issues/2) before I would assume a blackbox comparison across the gamut of matrix types would be competitive. Catamari currently implements:
  * Sequential and multithreaded, supernodal right-looking (multifrontal) Cholesky, LDL^T, and LDL^H,
  * Sequential and multithreaded, supernodal left-looking Cholesky, LDL^T, and LDL^H,
  * Sequential scalar left-looking Cholesky, LDL^T, and LDL^H
  * Sequential scalar up-looking Cholesky, LDL^T, and LDL^H.

At the moment, the first category is used by default, but there are more refined categories:
  * For large, reasonably dense, multithreaded environments, the supernodal right-looking approach is preferred.
  * For large, reasonably dense, sequential environments, the supernodal left-looking approach might be preferred.
  * For small/sparse problems, the up-looking approach should be preferred, but there is not yet parallel support for this in catamari (not that it would be difficult).

parallel simplicial would be nice, and the first publicly available implementation AFAIK.

According to CholMod's publications, it intelligently switches between the supernodal left-looking factorization and the scalar up-looking factorization (based upon the computational intensity as determined from the symbolic factorization). For higher core counts, the supernodal right-looking approach becomes critical so that the top of the assembly tree is parallelized.

I did not know that CholMod was supposed to be smart in this regard. On my own experienced I always had to explicitly choose between simplicial and supernodal modes to get best performance (and for simplicial I always use our built-in one of course!).

On the subject of Eigen integration: I would defer to Eigen experts on the best/most-useful means of integration. If you believe that there would be added usefulness in transplanting Catamari's logic into core Eigen (on top of its BLAS and matrix classes), I think that could be interesting.

That would definitely be the ideal option as duplicating code and efforts is rarely a good idea. Of course, this is also more work on the short term.

I believe that my permissively-licensed AMD implementation (quotient) should be roughly equivalent to SuiteSparse's (and, I suppose, Eigen's) in terms of performance.

Thanks to Google, we very recently managed to relicense SuiteSparse's AMD as MPL2. But the code is still horrible to us, C++ developers, so yours might still be very desirable if it's in par regarding performance/robustness. About AMD, I slightly modified our copy to support matrices with explicit zeros on the diagonal: those must be moved/kept at the bottom-right corner. Typical use case is equality constraints handled through Lagrange multipliers.

A wrapper might be a good first step, but this conversation has gotten me thinking that improving the algorithmic switching logic is a priority.

Yes, starting with a wrapper would be a good start to make catamari visible and easily testable/usable to the Eigen's community. If we envision an integration within Eigen's official module, a large refactoring will be required through.

Gaël.

With Thanks,
Jack