|[eigen] Performance difference icc <-> gcc, EIGEN_STRONG_INLINE|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [eigen] Performance difference icc <-> gcc, EIGEN_STRONG_INLINE
- From: Michael Riesch <michael.riesch@xxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 03:10:28 +0100
- Authentication-results: postout.lrz.de (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key) reason="pass (just generated, assumed good)" header.d=tum.de
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=tum.de; h= content-transfer-encoding:content-type:content-type:mime-version :user-agent:date:date:message-id:subject:subject:from:from :received:received; s=postout; t=1552443029; bh=kGcPDT9jVgHwKmCy uJQai18RD9IBYZCvIHLLa3Oi7UY=; b=TZZjJSnfDwNUX5wwCnuHbbwbgWf8OCLN TdY7JJb132PeabR98zbmJO6Vz2+JbsIKJ66/BcEprE+k3aiMVmmcIO4g3RdrIPT6 1ki9wl/gl7kswjUgRDtAazZiYBN/d2CS2WuPM3EqQT7etdSOd/UtlsKI2VcBFXqs Yo5ThZSWcNbIgShv248Dn0FQyvqtwATa2FkBbN2WRhqyqLabPkuqp4tKxTgTyiwO +awPh8pShLq8M/qz2J5URW6ze/1baA2z7czCECOPUmcSB7hBSQRK9TzC5nTnuRtl LmKhXuo7tgNbGt2Eye4b6AT6m9JGqyBcmPdBF8hg/zh46Pt+hlDJjQ==
Thank you very much for your work on Eigen. We found it very useful for
our simulation software mbsolve  (BTW maybe you would like to add it
to the projects list that uses the Eigen library).
The code I am working on at the moment consists mostly of dense
matrix-matrix and matrix-vector multiplications. I compiled the code
with both Intel compiler 19 and gcc 6.3.0 and found that there is a
strange performance difference. Unless I define
the binary compiled by icc is ~13x slower. The gcc binary performance
remains the same, as inline seems to be the standard setting of this
macro for gcc.
Why can this behavior occur? Or, alternatively, which possible
anti-pattern could be the cause of this performance difference?
Any hints are welcome. If you need more information, please let me know.
Thanks in advance and best regards,