Re: [eigen] ISO C++ working groups on Linear Algebra / Machine Learning

Hi Gael,

I'm glad that the information was helpful to you and some others.

I am actually firmly in the camp of "operator* as matrix-matrix product", like in Eigen. I personally don't like numpy's "@" syntax, as I really can't associate multiplication with that sign, but that's just personal. On a more rational level, I don't think we would (ever?) get the @-sign in C++ for matrix-matrix multiplication, so we would be stuck with having to use a mul/dot function - basically the numpy approach but without having "@". That really would not be great. I just would not want to write expressions like
A = B.mul(C.mul(D)); or (slightly better perhaps, but...) A = mul(B, C, D);.
Like you, I also mainly use matrix-matrix and matrix-vector multiplications, and when I rarely do need component-wise, it results in much more clear code to me to use .array() or a special function in that case.

I do like Matlab's approach of ".*" for component-wise multiplication, as I can associate something related to "multiplication" with it. But I don't think there's a way this could happen in C++.

The only real argument that I can see for using * for component-wise, and a function for matrix-matrix, is perhaps higher-dimensional tensor multiplications, where the *-sign might be ambiguous or might not make too much sense, but I am not too familiar with that field.

It might be a bit of bikeshedding about a technicality, but if more people feel like it should be "the Eigen way", now would probably be the time to give input to the SGs and discuss that further. Do you (or anyone else) think it would make sense to open a thread there? I'd be happy to do so.

Best wishes,
Patrik