[eigen] Performance colwise matrix mult vs. raw loop

I'm using Eigen in a program that reads a list of (millions of) 3d
points (in bulk), (rigidly) transforms these points and then processes
the transformed points. During optimizing the program (on Linux) I found
that I could gain a few percent runtime, by replacing a colwise matrix
multiplication with a raw loop that (from my perspective) does
essentially the same. Note that the runtime gain has been achieved for
the whole program, not only for the transformation part alone.

My first question would be if the assumption that the following two code
fragments should do the same and therefore be comparable is correct:

using pointlist = Eigen::Matrix<double, 3, Eigen::Dynamic, Eigen::RowMajor>;
using transform = Eigen::Transform<double, 3, Eigen::Isometry>;

extern pointlist points;
extern const transform trans;

void eigen_matrix_transformation()
{
    points = (trans * points.colwise().homogeneous());
}

void raw_loop_transformation()
{
    for(auto c = points.cols(); c > 0; --c)
    {
        points.col(c-1) = trans * points.col(c-1).homogeneous();

Although the number of points in the matrix is not known at compile time
the dimensionality of the points is, which should be enough to determine
the sizes of any intermediate storage at compile time.

I've extracted the code[0] from my program and found that the difference
between these implementations is ~3x. When comparing the generated
code[1] it seems that the colwise matrix multiplication allocates
dynamic memory whereas the raw loop does not. (At least it may throw
std::bad_alloc.)

Note that I could reproduce these results on different Linux machines,
but not on Windows. Although on my Windows laptop the overall benchmark
ran faster in a Linux virtual machine than on the Windows host.

I'm not sure if I'm using a sub-optimal Eigen function for my task or if
the Geometry module (or at least this part of the module) is not that
optimized, because there are more important parts in Eigen that needed
optimization. So I'd like to hear from you if you can reproduce my
benchmark results and/or consider this an issue. Is this maybe already
known?

I've currently replaced the colwise matrix multiplication with a raw
loop in my code so this is not a pressing issue to me at all. I was just
really surprised with the results I got.

I'd like to hear your opinions about this benchmark.

Thanks for your work on Eigen,
Norbert

[0] https://github.com/norbertwenzel/eigen-benchmark
[1] https://godbolt.org/g/atG6uA