Re: [eigen] How do you link multiple versions (e.g. AVX vs SSE) of the same Eigen code?

ah, sorry Christoph, I did not see your reply when replying to Benoit. We are essentially saying the same. To be more concrete we could replace the following two options:

EIGEN_DONT_ALIGN
EIGEN_DONT_ALIGN_STATICALLY

by:

EIGEN_MAX_ALIGN = {0,16,32}
EIGEN_MAX_ALIGN_STATICALLY = {0,16,32}

Similarly to EIGEN_DONT_ALIGN*, if only EIGEN_MAX_ALIGN is defined, then EIGEN_MAX_ALIGN_STATICALLY= EIGEN_MAX_ALIGN.

If none of them is defined, then Eigen would automatically define them to the same value depending on the target architecture:

  if x86 but not AVX then 16
  otherwise use the value provided by the respective SIMD layer, currently we have:
     - default = 0
     - SSE*, Altivec, NEON = 16
     - AVX = 32

Recall that those values define maximal bounds. For static allocation, lower values might be used to match the vector/matrix size. Likewise, we could imagine that aligned_malloc automatically reduce alignement requirement if the requested size is lower than the requested alignment. In that case, aligned_free will also need to know the allocated size to use the right strategy.

Internally, we also have to extend the FirstAlignedBit flag to a more general enum allowing to specify the actual alignement 0, 16, 32, etc. This is typically useful for Map.

gael