Re: [eigen] Bugs on bugzilla

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Christoph Hertzberg <chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05.06.2014 16:59, Gael Guennebaud wrote:
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Christoph Hertzberg <
chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We could then also add keywords, like "API Change", "Feature Request",
"Crash", "Compilation Problem", "Numerical Problem", "Failed Test", ...
(neither of them necessarily mutually exclusive)

Currently, the "severity" and "priority" fields are  somewhat redundant. So
I what about using the "severity" field for that purpose. For the record,
currently we have:

severity: "critical, major, normal, minor, enhancement"
priority: "highest, high, normal, low, lowest, ----"

I agree on the redundancy, but I'm not really comfortable with misusing that field. Perhaps we could reinterpret it as "complexity of implementation" -- even though that would not allow to distinguish internal design issues from numerical issues, etc.

If adding keywords is not possible (or not wanted), I'd rather suggest manually adding [TAGS] to the title of the bug. If we agree on a limited set of those, it would be simple enough to search for them. As an example, some bugs already start with [feature request].

There are already some similar keywords:

* accuracy: Numerical accuracy/stability bugs
* alignment: Alignment-related bugs
* bloat: Executable code bloat bugs
* crash: Crasher bugs
* JuniorJob: This means that handling this task does not require deep knowledge of Eigen's internals. This is a good opportunity to start contributing to Eigen (added yesterday)
* performance: Poor performance bugs
* test-needed: A unit-test needs to be written to cover this bug, even if it's already been marked as resolved. Remove this tag once it's written.
* wrong-result:

but the advantage of using "severity"instead of keywords is that this field is more visible in search results and it is also much easier to set since you only have to select it in the list. The above keywords have been there from the beginning but nobody used them. There must be a reason.

gael

Christoph

Dipl.-Inf., Dipl.-Math. Christoph Hertzberg
Cartesium 0.049
Universität Bremen
Enrique-Schmidt-Straße 5
28359 Bremen