|Re: [eigen] Updating the Benchmarks|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Updating the Benchmarks
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:56:26 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=R25cwmgkItF5arHuUCp8HyvfpKwcqoKjoZr9Q+WClGw=; b=r8Hd1fAVkcD1grfgi1hPDg0l95lFyulpPe6sZDGpa2XVCIZ1VTPNIf0Itdabbm1ap/ 9lp4iHsM68jSeddZ35kID571I/sgEhihdDoGwM7i/KnoVZIu9mfYvbztfjReuhhw667Y yQWOI/9B64t6LN86ORB0V9BKdy3bvYEwL4O34=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=Zo/z7RW7ubzN4NL6wdOaynHf+NziqGIFLJmD9Wu7uvDbHxQLDpJ5tNLEMrUnw+SrIR 5ksoCHUrNz6ci7QDP8EDvnyxmwipm1HwEtrsR0/3znRTh8uIcq8bgc22kx1MsVVpcbXs 0lbJ+F0EkbheRqloZdurjHCBz98RrkHmwc1uE=
2011/1/20 Milian Wolff <mail@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hey all!
> Finally I have the change to try out Eigen. I'm going to write a Bachelor
> thesis (I'm studying physics) on pulse EPR simulations. I want to use Eigen
> for that. To get my feet wet, I'd like to update the benchmarks first, which
> should also be useful for you all.
> I think I'll be able to get hold of an i7 machine with 8 or 4gigs of ram,
> running squeeze 64bit. I can easily install the open libs they have there,
> but I'm not sure whether I should try to get hold of the unfree libs for
> comparison. Most notably:
> # INTEL_MKL: seems to be commercial? Or can I use the "try" version?
Commercial, but yes you can use a free-of-charge version.
> # ACML: Closed-source but seems to be free for download?
I think the same applies to it (not 100% sure)
> # GOTO: no idea where I can get this?
Google for Goto BLAS, you'll find a university website, you have to
click on some kind of agreement before you can download, AFAICR.
None of the above is free-as-in-FSF, but ATLAS is (afaik).
> If you have any idea, then I could provide you with the required benchmarks.
> I'll also increase the size of the matrix, since my problem will have a
> 9000x9000 matrix approximately. I'm planning to use the Eigen 3 branch.
> Which leads me to my next question: I am not able to install the benchmarks
> that is the "default" branch in mercurial, eigen2 installed from squeeze
> repo, version is 2.0.15-1. Any help on this?
The default branch in mercurial is eigen3.
This is 2011, so do not bother benchmarking eigen2 anymore :)
Eigen3 benchmarking is very welcome; unfortunately I think that only
Gael knows the black magic of running our BTL benchmarks with all the
back-ends. It would be great to get a wiki page on this topic.
> Milian Wolff